From the taste of freshly pressed cider to the sound of waves lapping the sand, the South West can be a treat for all the senses.
The picture postcard perfection of the Cotswolds and breathtakingly beautiful coastlines of Devon and Cornwall need very little introduction but we will take you deeper into South West England where you’ll make some really special musical memories. Venues in the South West range from majestic cathedrals in some of Britain’s most beautiful cities to bandstands in picturesque settings and we know the very best venues for every ensemble and musical programme. Known for being one of the sunniest corners of England and home to some of the UK’s most popular attractions, when you tour in South West England, you’ll feel a you’re on holiday – with some magical musical moments thrown in for good measure!
Our Tour Highlights
The CotswoldsFrom idyllic villages to magnificent cathedrals, we’ll take you on a musical journey to the heart of the Cotswolds. ...more
Avon & Somerset: Cities and HeritageIndustrial Bristol, elegant Bath and England’s smallest city, Wells; three very different cities, one perfect tour steeped in heritage, history and beauty. ...more
Coastal SplendourWith miles of spectacular coastline, picturesque villages and warm weather, the English Riviera is one of the top destinations in the UK. ...more
Great Gardens of CornwallThe rural heart of Cornwall is blessed with beautiful gardens, giving you the perfect setting for your performances. ...more
Performance Venue Highlights
Wells Cathedral, SomersetBuilt between the 12th and 15th centuries, Wells Cathedral has been described as “the most poetic of the English Cathedrals” and its magnificence and striking architecture most certainly reflects this statement. Adjoining the Cathedral is Vicars’ Close, believed to be the only complete medieval street left in England. Music plays a very prominent role in the daily life of the Cathedral which will provide an awe-inspiring backdrop for your performance experience.
- Perfect for: Choirs and Orchestras
- Repertoire: Sacred, Classical
- Performance times: Lunchtime recitals and for a very special concert experience, the cathedral can be hired for an evening concert. During holiday periods, the Cathedral welcomes visiting choirs from close by and from all over the world to sing services.
Trebah Gardens Amphitheatre, CornwallLocated within a 26-acre sub-tropical paradise, the Amphitheatre at Trebah Gardens is a glorious outdoor performance experience. The venue plays host throughout the spring and summer months to a vibrant mix of theatre, music, stand-up, comedy and puppetry to a very welcoming and enthusiastic audience. The gardens themselves are well worth a visit and are enhanced by its stunning coastal backdrop and private beach.
- Perfect for: Choirs, Bands, Orchestras, Performing Arts groups
- Repertoire: Mixed
- Performance times: On request during the spring and summer months
Minack Theatre, CornwallPerched on the cliffs high above the Atlantic Ocean, The Minack Theatre in Cornwall is a unique, world-famous, open-air theatre. With the first performance taking place in 1932, today the theatre is a haven for performers and theatre enthusiasts alike with a full programme of drama, musicals and opera every summer, together with music, comedy and story-telling.
- Perfect for: Choirs, Performing Arts groups & some Bands
- Repertoire: Mixed
- Performance times: Open to visitors year-round. Informal performance options at lunchtimes on Wednesday during summer season and weekends in low season. For formal performances, book very early!
The Rumstore at Carnglaze Caverns, CornwallCarnglaze is set amongst 6.5 acres of ancient oak woodland on the southern edge of Bodmin Moor. Initially an open cast quarry, some 300 years ago the workforce started to mine for minerals underground resulting in the formation of three hand created caverns of cathedral proportions. As well as being a popular visitors attraction, it offers a superb underground concert venue with amazing acoustics!
- Perfect for: Choirs, Bands and Performing Arts groups
- Repertoire: Mixed
- Performance times: During opening hours in April-November for a passing audience, or evening ticketed concert
Buckfast AbbeyNestled in a tranquil haven on the edge of Dartmoor national park in a tranquil and serene Devonshire valley, Buckfast Abbey, is the only English medieval monastery to have been restored and used again for its original purpose. Celebrating its millennial year in 2018, the Abbey is a superb venue for a choir tour and is fast becoming a centre for the arts, particularly sacred music, in the South West, hosting a busy and successful concert series.
- Perfect for: Choirs
- Repertoire: Sacred
- Performance times: Visiting choirs are welcomed to sing at Sunday morning Mass
FestivalsCornwall International Male Choral Festival Established over 15 years ago, this biennial choral festival for male voices welcomes choirs from all over the British Isles and overseas. Each successive Festival has gone from strength to strength with more participating choirs and performance venues added each time. Venues range from small to large churches, Truro Cathedral, the Hall for Cornwall, local recreational events, as well as world famous tourist and eco attractions such as The Eden Project and The Lost Gardens of Heligan, and newer heritage attractions such as Heartlands, the UK's first cultural playground.
Where To Stay
Best Western Swan Hotel, Wells
- Historic hotel in a central location opposite Wells Cathedral
- Elegant, traditional rooms equipped with TV, Hairdryer and tea/coffee making facilities
- Hotel facilities include bar, comfortable lounge, restaurant and outdoor terrace with views of the Cathedral and Green.
Cheltenham Chase Hotel, Gloucestershire
- Luxurious hotel set in 15 acres of private grounds on the edge of the picturesque Cotswold Hills.
- Contemporary and elegant rooms equipped with TV, Hairdryer and tea/coffee making facilities
- Hotel facilities include Hardy’s Restaurant and Hunters Bar and Lounge, with fantastic views over the surrounding hills and a sumptuous spa area, indoor swimming pool, steam room and spa bath
Queens Hotel, Paignton, Devon
- Located within walking distance of seafront and town
- Pleasant rooms equipped with TV, Hairdryer and tea/coffee making facilities
- Hotel facilities include comfortable bar and entertainment lounge, restaurant and indoor swimming pool.
Esplanade Hotel, Newquay, Cornwall
- Located opposite Fistral Beach with outstanding views of the bay
- Stylish rooms equipped with TV, Hairdryer and tea/coffee making facilities
- Hotel facilities include comfortable bar, lounge, restaurant and indoor swimming pool with spa and sauna
|Travel to your destination from your chosen collection point
|Welcome drink at the hotel and time at leisure
|Group evening meal at the hotel and time to socialise!
|Morning visit to the city of Wells with guided tour of the Cathedral and grounds
|Lunchtime concert in Wells Cathedral OR outdoor concert
|Evening meal at the hotel and evening activity
|Morning visit to Bath with informal performance in the Abbey grounds
|Afternoon excursion to the rolling Cotswolds. Visit Sudeley Castle or Lacock Abbey.
|Early evening meal at the hotel and travel to Cornwall hotel
|Explore one of Cornwall’s magnificent gardens with a performance at the amphitheatre in Trebah Gardens
|Afternoon visit to the fascinating Carnglaze Caverns with performance opportunity in the Rumstore Cavern
|Evening meal at the hotel
|Explore the coastal gems of Cornwall, take a boat ride to the Scilly Isles or enjoy a visit perusing the art galleries of Penzance
|Afternoon visit to the Minack Theatre with a potential performance at this world-famous cliff top performance space
|Early evening meal at the hotel and travel to Devon hotel
|Visit to Buckfast Abbey with mass participation for sacred choirs
|Afternoon visit to coastal Devon and perform in a bandstand on The English Riviera
|Farewell meal in local restaurant
|Optional morning excursion
|Onward journey home